2005-10-10

RRR - 666

RoadRunnerRecords (responsible for unleashing upn the mortal world such amsters as Nickelback, SlipKnot, Deicide, Murderdolls, to name but a few), for their 25th Anniversary ("that's half the lifespan of rock music itself") have come up with an absolute gem: Roadrunner United, The All-Star Sessions. 18 tracks of great metal, performed by arguably (I am of the position that that "arguably" means "probably not, but maybe" as opposed to "I think so but for legal reasons I can't say so and I still want it to sound like a positive fact"), the best in the business (Oh yes, even I use over used clichéd alliterations.)

The concept is simple, yet devilishly (oh how poignant) brilliant, even if it did take a year for the great admin over at RRR did take a year to get it going (the original idea dates back to August 2004).

4 "team" "captains" write a few songs, and get their favourite musicians to record it. Then they pick a singer, to whom the song is sort of adapted to begin with, who writes and records the lyrics. The result? Awesome, just (!) awesome.

Check out roadrunnerrecords.com for more details, and then go buy it!

I had first read about it in May or June, and ever since I've checking up regularly to find out hw they're coming along. When I found out that the European release date was today (one day before the US! (plus the time difference)), I didn't think for a minute (didn't need to with my new-found metalhead) before deciding to go buy it. Which also gave me an opporunity to buy my Bloc Party ticket, which was good.

!8 tracks, 77 minutes, 59 artists, only 4 of which appear more than once.
Does it get any heavier than this?

No comments: