2005-09-03

Random siliness.

I disdain it. Not randomness and silliness, which is loads of fun, it's te best thing I now. No, my gripe/beef/niggle/whatever is with it becoming cool. It's not cool. It's nerdy and facetious. I hate the fact that just because someone is naturally and spontaneously kooky and crazy and wild, everyone around that person then starts acting the same. And fake crazy is dangerous, because when you get in to that, you lose all track of when irrationality is fun and when it's genuinely annoying and seriousness is needed.

The main drawback of this latest craze of eccentricity is that marketing has got hold of it. All things slightly weird are viewed as cool and therefore sell well. My best example of this is the Pizza Hut sponsor ad that comes on just before The Simpsons. I won't bother describing it, that's just pointless. But they're just trying to be clever through being stilghtly odd, which draws attention etc. But it doesn't work. idiotic to the point of being funny is quite hard, if not impossible, to manufacture. Channel 4 managed it, with their new show "Balls Of Steel". Now THAT's funny.

In any case, I intended this post to be positive, and it will be, because I know loads of people who are fun and random and spontaneous and silly, but who also know when to turn it off, and they make me laugh (with them at them). I can do it sometimes too, I think. er,,, yes well that's that because I'll either be modest or pretentious and this is just showing me being unsure of myself and this just goes spiralling out of control...

All in all, this is one of those "omg i love you guys soooooooo much that i've lost all my capacities of intelligent and articulate and orignal commenting guys never change please ever you guys are so great stay as you are love you all sooooo much" crappy skyblog style comments, with a pinch of me being sarcky and also me realising that i do want my friends to change and grow and all that stuff, just not overnight. It's inevitable, and I intend to get in the habit myself too, so I might as well not worry about it.

I see it every day in my friends, and it's the most beautiful, untainted, pure caracteristic of youth I can think of.

No comments: